April is Stress Awareness Month, so let’s focus on some easy, cheap (even free) ways to help navigate those stressful moments.
Consider these life modifications:
- De-stress your environment – alter your area with small, subtle changes. Start with a photo of your family, a pet, a vacation or a small plant to enjoy.
- Stress-relieving activity accessories – play soundscapes, keep a stress ball handy or something to distract you from the hectic place/people or thoughts you’re experiencing.
- Walk it off – this requires no investment. Head to the parking lot or the sidewalk around your facility…or the building stairwell for a brief stroll. Invite a coworker or tune in to your favorite podcast or music for an escape.
- Find a “chill” space – find an empty workspace, office or break room to enjoy a moment to yourself. Chilling in your vehicle without the radio on is therapeutic. Getting away, physically or mentally, to a new environment or “perceived” new environment for a short time can help shift the mindset.
- Relaxation breathing – check out Skila’s classes for expert tips on proper breath work.
- Tea over coffee – Teas have a more positive effect on your mood and overall health. Try jasmine, lavender or chamomile teas for calming effects. If you battle a nervous stomach when you’re stressed, try ginger tea.
- Slow down and take notes – there are health benefits to journal writing. Writing helps relieve stress and improves your mood. It’s a platform for your voice to be heard. Journaling also promotes self-awareness and helps sort out your thoughts and feelings.
Watch the recorded Yoga, Meditation and Total Body Reset classes with Skila Ramirez, the City’s Yoga Guru!